When to Start Using Lotion on The Tattoo
Well, different people have different opinions about it. It is because each body is unique and reacts differently to the healing process. But, good aftercare is vital for having the best outcome. Different tattoo artists will give different aftercare instructions as per their client’s skin type. Here in this post, we will discuss when to start using lotion on Tattoo in general.
Here we go……
When to start using lotion on Tattoo?
Some tattoo artists recommend applying lotion to the area after the first wash. At the same time, others suggest that you leave your Tattoo for 24 hours before applying any lotion. This varies from person to person, as each person has a different skin type. In the case of extra sensitive skin types, tattoo artists recommend to leave it for one day.
How to use lotion on Tattoo?
Once you know when to apply lotion on the Tattoo, you have to focus on the right way to apply lotion on your Tattoo. There has to be a balance. Applying too much lotion and too little lotion is incorrect. Some people use too much lotion in order to speed up the healing process, which doesn’t happen, of course. While others simply do not follow a routine, both the situations are harmful to your Tattoo’s health.
When you apply a too thick layer of lotion, it suffocates the area where the Tattoo lies. And when you don’t care for your Tattoo, your skin starts to form scabs or infections. So, the key to moisturizing is balance. You have to have a balance to get the best outcomes. Apply a thin layer of lotion or ointment after each wash. Also, it is imperative to wash your Tattoo with warm water. Doing so will let you have great results.
When to apply lotion to Tattoo?
Usually, it is recommended to apply lotion to your Tattoo at least three times a day – Morning, Afternoon, and Evening. Doing so will keep your Tattoo well moisturized, well-hydrated, and in good condition, thereby speeding up the healing process. Here is when to apply
When you wake up in the morning, you will find your Tattoo is dry and tight. It is because when you sleep, your body becomes dehydrated. That is why applying lotion first thing is mandatory. So, when you wake up while bathing, clean your Tattoo, pat dry the area, and after that, apply lotion. It will help to relax the area immediately.
As the day will pass, your Tattoo will begin to dry up again. Therefore, it’s necessary to apply lotion to the area one more time. But make sure you clean the Tattoo each time before using the ointment. Applying newer layers of cream over the older layer can clog the pores of the skin. This, in turn, increases the chances of infection.
Clean your Tattoo before you hit the bed, pat dry the area, and apply lotion. It will ensure that your Tattoo is well hydrated even when you sleep.
How to Clean your Tattoo
The first thing you need to do after removing your Tattoo bandage is – Wash your Tattoo. Make sure you use a mild antibacterial soap to clean your Tattoo, such as H2Ocean Blue Green Foam Soap. As said earlier, newly inked tattoos should be cleaned three times a day. Here is how to clean your Tattoo:
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Then, apply foam cleanser or natural ingredient soap to the newly tattooed area with clean hands.
- Now, gently rub soap or cleanser into Tattoo and surrounding area.
- Gently wipe off the cleanser from the area with a clean paper towel.
- Pat dry the area (do not rub at all)
- Wait for some time and then apply the lotion or ointment.
Tattoo Aftercare Tips
1. Avoid cleaning your Tattoo with hard water as it can cause the skin to dry out quickly.
2. Avoid direct exposure to the sun; it can cause skin irritation and allergic reactions to the tattoo ink.
3. Avoid water activities when your Tattoo is in the healing stage. All water games and activities, such as swimming, sauna, etc. should be avoided. Staying too much in water can be detrimental to your tattoo ink.
4. Avoid using harsh or chemical-based aftercare products on your Tattoo. Chemical-based products can lead to allergic reactions, rashes, etc. That is why it is recommended to use only natural and organic products on the skin.
5. Avoid rubbing, scratching, and peeling your Tattoo. You may feel itchy while your Tattoo is healing, but it is okay; it is natural, and you have to avoid scratching your Tattoo. Otherwise, you will end up having distorted body artwork.
6. Avoid smoking, alcohol, and any other kind of drug. Consuming alcohol or smoking too much can hamper the healing process.
7. Avoid wearing body hugging clothes as it can also cause irritation or skin reactions.
8. Avoid doing nothing. You need to take excellent care of your Tattoo in order to have the best outcomes, so it’s imperative not to miss to follow the routine.
The 7 Best Tattoo After Care Lotions
There is a wide range of aftercare lotions and ointments to choose from. However, you have to make sure that you buy only natural and non-scented products. Even your artist will recommend some specific lotion and soap, but if you don’t want to buy them, here is a list of the best tattoo aftercare lotions.
1. After Inked Tattoo Moisturizer & Aftercare Lotion
After Inked’s moisturizer is 100% vegan and tested by dermatologists to be no allergenic, the lotion features grapeseed oil, known to boost healing. It is mild and can be used on new tattoos and piercings. It is suitable for all skin types. You can buy it online.
2. Urban ReLeaf TATTOO SKIN SILK:
Urban ReLeaf TATTOO SKIN SILK is made with holistic remedies, like raw Shea Butter, Rosemary, lavender, and Tea Tree Oil. All the essential oils used in Skin Silk are naturally antimicrobial. It is gentle on the skin and alleviates pain and itching, as well. This is a hypoallergenic lotion that doesn’t have Lanolin or Petroleum in it. You can buy this tattoo aftercare moisturizer online.
3. H2Ocean Ocean Care Tattoo Aftercare
H2Ocean is a water-based lotion that doesn’t contain artificial components like Petroleum or perfume in it. However, it contains parabens. This fragrance-free formula features ingredients like aloe, Vitamin E, and jojoba oil, and is gentle on the skin that keeps your Tattoo moisturized. You can buy it online.
4. Tattoo Goo Renew Enhancing Lotion SPF 30
Tattoo Goo’s sunscreen is a mighty product to use outdoors; however, it’s not considered ideal for long hours in intense sunlight. It contains Vitamins and Olive Oil. And is known to promote the healing process. In fact, it makes older tattoos look more vibrant and colorful. It’s quite gentle on the skin; you can use it on a day-to-day basis. You can buy it online.
5. Lubriderm Tattoo Daily Care Water-Based Lotion
Lubriderm Tattoo Daily Care Water-Based Lotion is one of the best tattoo aftercare lotions. It keeps your Tattoo moisturized for twenty-four hours after you apply it. It is made of Vitamin B5 and soybean extract, which helps the tattooed skin to heal faster. Moreover, it is free of artificial fragrances and is not greasy.
6. Ora’s Amazing Herbal Tattoo Salve
It is a wonder cream for your newly etched Tattoo! Ora’s tattoo salve contains grape seed oil, comfrey, coconut oil, calendula, and other organic ingredients. It doesn’t have dyes, parabens, artificial fragrances, Lanolin, gluten, or mineral oil. Just a thin layer of Ora’s Tattoo Salve to new tattoos is enough to speed up healing. It not only prevents itching but also it makes your ink look vibrant. Again, it doesn’t clog pores. The mild fragrance comes from the essential oils of rosemary, tea tree, and cedar. You can buy it online!
7. Tattoo Goo Salve Aftercare Ointment
Tattoo Goo salve aftercare ointment is made up of natural ingredients that heal your Tattoo faster. It is an excellent ointment for your skin. It helps to heal damaged, scraped, chapped, sun, or windburned skin. Tattoo Goo contains herbs, oils, and vitamins and is known for its natural healing properties. This ointment allows newly tattooed skin to breathe and helps to soothe the Tattoo as it heals. It is Lanolin free, Petroleum free, and mineral oil-free. You can quickly get it online.
Summing it up……
I hope this post helped you know when to start using lotion on Tattoo. Remember that the simple act of moisturizing can eliminate any discomfort and risk associated with a freshly inked tattoo. Following the right tattoo care regime initially will help you have a vibrant tattoo even after many years. Failing to do this will lead to unappealing and distorted tattoo ink. Trust, unappealing tattoos are hard to get rid of and affect one’s confidence adversely. So, it is better to take excellent care of your Tattoo and have the best outcomes!
Happy Tattooing…. ☺ ☺